• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

Could anyone identify the vessel in this postcard.

Started by Chris Weddell, April 26, 2015, 09:33:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Weddell

Hi All,

Could anyone identify this vessel for me. I feel it may by pre WW1 or just at the start. Thanks in advance.

Chris ;D

Nick Colley

It looks like one of the C class destroyers, built between 1896 and 1902. If that is correct, (Colin, Frank ?), then we have a choice of 41 of them ! I have no idea which it might be. Any ideas, chaps ? Does that white circular 'emblem' on the port bow have any significance ?

chrs
Nick

Frank Schofield

This is not a photograph but a stylised drawing
Of the 40 odd built around the 1890's some had four funnels some had two but most had three.
The white emblem on the bow is a 1 in the circle, none of my reference books for the period show the pennent numbers So not much help there
Frank Schofield

Chris Weddell

Hi Nick and Frank,

Thanks for your help with the id of the vessel. I have had a look on the net for C-class destroyers but have not had any luck yet with the pennent no 1 yet. There are a number of the Class built in 1896 but most of the pennent numbers are not known now.

Thanks,

Chris  ;D

bknights

You may be able to get a list of names of the three funnel vessels in this class from the Caird Library  at the National Maritime Museum,  Greenwich  and,if you are living reasonably close, may  be able to view actual photos of them.  Bryans Knights