• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

Meaning of Letter "C"

Started by Colin Tabeart, June 12, 2015, 10:07:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin Tabeart

I would like members opinion as to the reason and meaning of the letter  "C" on this cover written to a returning NZ soldier after the end of WWI..  Posted in Bridge of Weir on 29th March 1919  and addressed to Sgt, E.G. Melvin on board s/s Paparoa in Queen's Dock Glasgow. I acquired it recently with a covering letter from Robin Startup ,  dated 1991,who considered that it could indicate C  Deck on board ship  rather than C Company,  but does think that it is a military marking. I would be surprised if Paparoa was large enough to have decks lettered  but it did occur to me that it might mean "C" Mess on board.  I would appreciate members opinions on this.  Bryans  Knights

Michael Gould

I have referred to these C marks in the just completed supplement to my WW1 naval book which is currently being prepared for publication. These were used in connection with the censorship of letters passing through several of the ports. Graham Mark is you best contact re these. Michael

bknights

Many thanks for your suggestion which I will follow up.  Bryans

Graham Mark

When I was compiling my book on the censorship of civil mails during WWI I was shown a handful of covers by a acquaintance in the Bristol area.  Like yours they were addressed to someone on board a ship, SS "Omara" at Glasgow in my case.  Military Control Officers were appointed to ports and they were empowered to censor mails at the shipping company offices.  I believe this C mark was an indication that the letter had been seen by the MCO but from recollection I do not believe any of the covers I have seen with the marking had been opened and resealed by these officers.  From some smaller ports I have examples of covers which had been opened and resealed but they were addressed to persons with obviously 'foreign' names in Scandinavia.  Yours to a British crew member of a British ship was less likely to have warranted examination.
I hope this helps.  My book, with a supplement, is available to FPHS members at £20 plus postage, or collect it at MIDPEX next month.
Graham Mark

bknights

A letter acquired with the cover had been written by Robin Startup in 1991  and his opinion was that it was not a civilian mark and Graham's comments agree with this letter "C" being a military mark.  The somewhat strange thing (to me) is that censors  were  still being employed in March 1919. The help is much appreciated.  Bryans

ChristchurchPS

Archives NZ,  War Service details show him to be Eric George Melvin, and he embarked on the 1 April 1919 from Glasgow, and disembarked Wellington, NZ on 24 May 1919.
He had been a POW in Germany and had been at Codford and Brockenhurst. 
He may have still been under some medical care ?
Dr Google advises that the Paparoa was a refrigerated ship of the NZ Shipping Co and carried 38 passengers in the 1st Saloon, 40 in the 2nd and 170 in 3rd, so the C may well refer to the deck/class accommodation as she was probably in civillian mode by 1919.

Regards

Robert Duns

bknights

Thanks Robert, the news that he had been a POW is very interesting and had not known that fact.
Had seen your name  and intended to contact you with help on another NZ matter and will do so via email  direct .  Bryans