• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

Royal Netherlands Navy censor 1943

Started by Michael Dobbs, July 16, 2015, 01:12:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Dobbs

I have received the following query from our website:

[color=maroon]I email in the hope that you can assist me. I have just acquired a cover franked with a 50c Ceylon stamp, which is uncancelled, marked with a nice boxed "Passed by Censor ... Royal Netherlands Navy" which gives the date of censorship as the 6th Oct 1943. It is addressed to South Africa and is marked "Airmail". The cover has 2 "cachets", one O.A.S., which pretty obviously is "On Active Service" and the other is "BY F.M.O." and I am intrigued by what, if anything this mark entail - even as to what "FMO" means -"Forces Mail Office"?
My friend Peter Wingent has suggested that I get in touch with you.
I might add that my interests are in South African Airmails and I am very new to wartime mails. Thanking you in advance for your help.[/color]

I have already advised the person making the enquiry that FMO stands for Fleet Mail Office.  The RNN censor cachet appears to be Daynes Type NF104.  Any idea of the rout back, or why it was not cancelled, or anything else useful ?

The sender of the cover is "SubLT D J Fangman RNN" who has a PO address in Colombo.

Many thanks, Mike  :)

Nick Colley

Well, a couple of comments, Mike:

- Why is any item of uncancelled mail 'uncancelled' ? A number of reasons, none of them sinister, can be suggested. I guess.

- I think 50c was the normal air mail rate to anywhere in the Empire, from Ceylon - at least later in the war (but don't try and tie me down to dates, not yet, anyway.)

- As regards routing: dunno, but can speculate via East Africa ?

chrs
N

Colin Tabeart

Suggest Fleet Mail Office Colombo then via horseshoe route to Durban. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horseshoe_route