• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

The Postal History of British Airmails by E B Proud

Started by Chris Grimshaw, September 19, 2015, 01:01:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Grimshaw

Hi All

Does anyone have a copy of the above volume?, I'm looking for a copy of the section covering the RAF service operating between Sofia and Salonika in October to December 1918.

Cheers

Chris

Graham Mark

Page 31:  "The first proper British regular air mail service in reality was between Sofia (Bulgaria) and Salonika (Greece) which started on 21 October 1918 (biweekly)"
p32:  2 cards  shown, 24 & 30 Oct 18 to Mrs Simmons at Bournemouth, pmked FPO GX
p33:  a timetable - 10 flights each way.  Service discontinued on 21 Dec18.  Mail then went by rail.

Salonika / Constatinople service - three flights each way in April due to breakdown of the railway
and another flight in Mau and four in JUly.

Bound volume difficult to copy but I will bring volume to our next meeting if that is soon enough.
Graham

Chris Grimshaw

Thanks Graham

Next meetimg will be fine,

John Slingsby also mentions mail form the Sofia - Salonika service cancelled APO SX 5, not sure when the Proud volume was published but would think pre 2004.

Chris

Robin Davis

Hello Chris,

The OPAL Journal whole vol. 223 pages 29 - 34 has an article "A British Correspondence from Sophia November 1918" by Earl H. Galitz which includes the air mail service.

More interestingly the OPAL Journal whole vol. 224 pages 39 - 41 has two reply articles to the above concerning the air mail service, the first by myself  (pages 39 - 40) and the second from John Slingsby (page 41). In respect of FPO GX and APO SX5, John Slingsby states that mail for Salonika was censored at Sofia but not postmarked until received by FPO GX or APO SX5 in Salonika.

Firebrace also contains information concerning the air mail service.

Hope this helps.

Kindest Regards

Robin

Chris Grimshaw

Hello Robin

Thanks for the info, I have no access to the OPAL journal, if possible when you're next in the Royal can you copy the relevant for me please?

Cheers

Chris

ChristchurchPS

Chris - I can scan and email the pages if that is easleir for you if you can send me your email

Regards

Robert Duns
Librarian Christchurch philatelic Society
robertjd3@gmail.com

Chris Grimshaw

Hello Robert

Thank you for your offer, that would be great.

Please email me on my work email,

chris.grimshaw@nationalgrid.com

Best regards

Chris

Chris Grimshaw

Thanks to Robert Dunn I now have a copy of the revelant pages from Proud "The Postal History of British Airmails" if anyone can supply a copy of the articles from "OPAL" which Robin quotes it would be appreciated.

Cheers

Chris

Robin Davis

Hello Chris,

Can you send me your e-mail address because I've sent two e-mails to you at two different e-mail addresses but neither appears to have reached you. My e-mail address is unchanged.

Kindest Regards

Robin

Chris Grimshaw

Hello Robin

Emailed you this morning from my work email address, having problems sending from my home email since changing ISP.

Cheers

Chris

Chris Grimshaw

Hi All

Have now had chance to study the articles in "OPAL"
The first article in Volume 223 pages 29 to 34 by  Earl H Galitz raises some interesting questions, he describes 7 PPC's all of Sofia, all cancelled FPO GX 6th Nov 1918 and censored 7/474, all from the same correspondence, illustration too small to make out addressee or censor.

None endorsed by Air but source and date tie in.

Has anyone ever seen this series of cards or have any further information on this Air Service ?

Cheers

Chris