• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

Buried in Gallipoli

Started by Frank Schofield, September 22, 2015, 03:29:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank Schofield

Just bought an item for my collection
It is a cover from Midshipman Bernard W Davy, RNR, HMS Ark Royal to his mum in Sheffield
According to the CWGC web site he lost his life on 10th July 1916 along with his pilot F/Lt V Nicholson as a result of an crash, listed by the Navy History Net web site in a Short Type C Tractor Biplane Seaplane at Ispatho Island, a small island, off Lemnos on that date,
BUT the two officers are buried side by side in Lancashire Landing Cemetery on Gallipoli,
How did their bodies arrive in Gallipoli? did they float ashore together all the way from Lemnos? and been buried by the Turks
OR is the Naval History Net site wrong about the location of the crash, bit of a mystery this

Frank Schofield

Chris Grimshaw

Hi Frank

In 1919 / 20 there was consolidation of isolated graves which couldn't be maintained, I'd suspect this is the case here.

Chreers

Chris

Frank Schofield

Chris

Thanks for the thouhts, but find it strange they would move these two officers to Gallipoli, when there are 800 casualties buried in the nearby East Mudros Military Cemetery

Frank

Chris Grimshaw

Hi Frank

I'd done a bit odf research on the net and was comimg to the same conclusion, with the Island being right in the Bay of Mudros it was under Allied control, possibly they where buried there by the allies and it was decided to move them when Lanchashire landing Cemetry was constructed properly after the war. Why not use East Mudros Cemetry though? not full as I think still in use.

There's no mention of graves moved from here after the war, Sounds more like the crash location is incorrect.

Not much further on I'm afraid.

Chris

Frank Schofield

Chris

Yes I am beginning think that the flight was over Gallipolli, a report must exist somewhere probably buried in the achives in Kew

Frank

Chris Grimshaw

Hi Frank

Done  a little more digging, Grave registers don't tell us anything. However K 82 (grave location) does,

The "K" row was constructed after the armistise from graves brought in from elsewhere, mainly Imbros, the Grave Registers are dated March 1924 and checked April 1924.

We may never know for sure but I suspect, they where buried where the crash is reported, then overlooked in 1919/20, grave rediscovered later and as work was in progress at Lancashire Landing reintered there.  Probally by then the cemetries on Lemnos where fully established.

Best I can suggest

Chris

Frank Schofield

Chris

Many thanks. I will probably write it up as such

Frank

Frank Schofield

Chris

Many thanks again for all your research
Thought you might like a view of the item

Frank

Chris Grimshaw

Frank

Thank you, a very nice item.

Chris

Tony Walker

I have come across a cover, which I referred to Chris Grimshaw as it was at the time of the Dardanelles.  Chris referred me to this recent post of yours, as my cover is from the same man, B W Davy.  I can find very limited information about C Squadron, and the designations later in the war of squadrons, wings and flights became very confusing.

I cannot add to the discussion, but attach a scan to show the different censor mark to your cover.  Any info on C Squadron would be appreciated

The cancel is ARMY POST OFFICE SX3 dated 4 JY 16.  Chris says there are two different sizes of this cancel, mine measures 32mm dia.

Cheers
Tony

Frank Schofield

Tony

C Sqn not listed in Navy List, Midshipman B.W. Davy listed as Ark Royal in the index  but not under the ship
I note the cover was postmarked 6 days before he was killed
F/Lt Nicholson (Pilot) is listed under No. 2 Wing RNAS
Not seen this censor before

Frank Schofield

Alan Green

Tony,

There is an Air-Britain book covering the RNAS during WW1 "Royal Navy Aircraft Serials and Units 1911-1918" and my summary notes refer to 2 Wing in the Aegean

2 Wing - sent to support the Dardanelles campaign and later, the Salonica campaign. Early formation and complement are complex, but it was transferred to the Royal Air Force on 1st April 1918 when the individual Squadrons became Nos. 220-223 Sqdns, as follows:
A Squadron, at Thasos with DH4's & Sopwith Camels - to No.222 Sqdn RAF
B Squadron, at Mitylene with a variety of types - to No.223 Sqdn RAF
C Squadron, at Imbros with DH4's & Sopwith Camels - to No.220 Sqdn RAF
D Squadron, at Stavros with anti-submarine flights of seaplanes - to No.221 Sqdn RAF

2 Wing/C Flight had been formed in the Aegean during 1916 (thought to be at Mudros during May) and had moved to Imbros by 6.10.16. Formally, became C Squadron at Imbros on 1.1.17.

It would appear from your cover that the term C Squadron was being used earlier than recorded in the A-B book, but hopefully the other details are helpful?
Alan

Tony Walker

Alan

That's very helpful, thank you

As you say the designations became very complex, and the smaller units were highly mobile which adds to the problems of identification and location

Kind regards
Tony