• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

RNAS Armoured Car Division WWI

Started by Tony Walker, September 23, 2015, 10:42:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Walker

I am trying to tie down an Armoured Car Division cover, the censor mark being [i]Censored by[/i], followed by a small triagle.  See attachment. 

This would seem to be Michael Goulds 4A120 which he says was used in France in 1915 and later reported on correspondence from the RNAS armoured cars in Russia

The cover has a dr ARMY POST OFFICE cds on the front dated  JA 10 16 / S.10

Censors initials H.S.n within the triagle, with same initials above the triangle but crossed out.  Presumably the censor thought he should have initialled it in the triangle in the first instance.  There are two ms S.M. marks on the front.

On the reverse there is another dr APO cds dated 11 JAN 16 / 4

Locker Lampsons Armoured Car Division left Liverpool for Archangel on 1 December 1915 but bad weather made them put in to Alexandrovsk (now Murmansk) on 1 January 2016 where they stayed until 23 May before departing for Archangel.  So it seems unlikely this cover came from them?

Any suggestions where it originated from would be appreciated. Armoured Cars were also in France and Belgium, and much further afield.  France is probably the likeliest place. Will the censors intials help at all?

Cheers
Tony

Frank Schofield

Tony

The censors initials are almost certainly H.S.N. those of Flt/Sub/Lt Henry S. Neville, of No 5 Sqn RNAS based at Dunkirk (APO S10) at that time

Frank Schofield

Tony Walker

Thank you Frank - spot on as ever

Tony