• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

WW2 USA APO 15475

Started by Chris Weddell, September 25, 2015, 05:42:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Weddell

Hi All

I have just brought a small lot of  WW2 US forces in England covers ans letters from a West Country hospital. In this lot is two covers given an APO 15475 number i can find nothing about. The covers are sent at an earlier date then the others but all are from the same sender. I have a feeling these two covers are from the USA before he went overseas and got wounded. If any one can help with anything at all about APO 15475 that would be good.

Also does anyone know about K company INF.

Cheers

Chris W.

Chris Weddell

Hi Again,

Here is a scans of one of the covers.

Chris.

abump

Chris,

Based on the service number, PVT Bernard M. Cohen enlisted in Camp Upton, New York on 06 March, 1944.  I can find no other information on the sender. 

APO 15475 is a temporary APO number assigned to units or locations which had not been assigned or placed under an established APO.  In looking around for this number, I want to say that it may have belonged to the 6th Armored Division at some point, but I can't be sure. 

Your best bet is to consult  "Numbered Army & Air Force Post Office Locations - 7th Edition; Volume 2: Temporary APOs, 1941-1947" by Russ Carter.  Unfortunately, I had borrowed that book from the APS library about a month ago, but I have already returned it.  (I should probably buy it.)  If you can find a copy, I guarantee it will be in there.

Sorry that I can offer no more material aid.

Al Bump

Chris Weddell

Al,

Thanks for your help on this. Just for interest i have added a scan of one of the other covers i have from this soldier dated 11th December 1944. This cover was posted from the US 159TH General Hospital Yeovil Somerset  where he was a patient.

Chris.