• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

WW1 Naval "passed by censor" cachet ???.

Started by Chris Weddell, October 02, 2015, 09:51:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Weddell

Hi All,

I have just brought this cover a few weeks ago and am having a bit of a problem with it. I can find the Krag machine cancel which i think is a (Gould MA4) cancel, but i cannot find the "PASSED BY CENSOR" cachet any help at all would be welcome.

Chris. ;D

Frank Schofield

Chris

This censor mark (unlisted by Gould) is almost certainly that of HMS Tyne (destroyer depot ship), a copy was on my list of 4/12. It is very similar to Gould (6B120) that of HMS Maidstone but she was at Harwich in WW1, also the crown is different. By August 1918 the Grand Fleet had moved down to Rosyth, and for some unknown reason the time slugs were removed in the FPOa canceller.
The addressee, Miss Coyle, is the sister of Surg/Lieut Coyle serving on HMS Parker (destroyer) at the time. The censors initials which look like SNS but I think they are SWS those of Paymaster Sidney W Saxton appointed to HMS Tyne in May 1918
Hope of some use

Frank Schofield

Chris Weddell

Frank,

Thanks for the help with this one. I will write it up as HMS Tyne, unlisted by Gould.

Thanks also on the info of the addressee and the censor.

Chris S-W.