• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

Lt WM Armstrong, 10 Ryl Hussars

Started by Graham Mark, October 16, 2015, 11:14:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Graham Mark

In the Ypres exhibition last year I had a frame of letters from this officer.  I have someting over 300 covers of which about one third have the letters intact.
Limerick University have recently been in touch saying they hold the Armstrong family archive and can they have access to the letters.  I am happy to oblige them.
WHen I acquired this shoeboxful (about 1995) the dealer was selling items one by one and the Gallipoli period had been well picked over before I saw it.
WMA was ADC to deLisle in 2 CavBde from early Sept 1914, then 1CavDiv.  When deLisle moved to 29Div at Gallipoli WMA followed and in Nov'15 made StaffCapt.  Back in France still with 29Div he was made GSO3 then BdeMajor 86Bde.  WMA was kia 23May17.  Promoted Capt (gazetted posthumously).
If any member has examples of this man's letters, mostly to his mother I am sure Limerick University would appreciate copies.  Scans of two examples atached.  Please send any scans to me at Oast House West, Wiveliscombe, Somerset TA4 2PP, or gmarkb34@btinternet.