• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

Indian Experimental P.O. cancels.

Started by Chris Weddell, October 16, 2015, 10:43:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Weddell

Hi,

I brought this cover as it fits into one of my sidelines and is just a nice cover. Can anybody tell me a anything about the Indian Experimental post office cancel and b, the very nice 8 sided star censor.

Thanks in advance.

Chris ;D

Frank Schofield

Chris

I have never found a list of these experimental datestamps but the item is Naval
from HMIS Shivaji, a shore based Mechanical Training Establishment at Lonavla, Bombay, 1944-76
The censor mark is Daynes N443

Frank Schofield

Chris Weddell

Frank,

Thanks once again for your help

I brought this cover as it was from a WW2 British Naval shore Establishment, one of my sidelines. I am i the middle of looking up Captian Watt as i hope he was in charge of the establishment.

Which book do i need to get to help me with Commonwealth and Indian censor marks.

Chris.

Frank Schofield

Chris

I think the book you need is:-

World War Two Censor Marks by John Daynes published by the FPHS in 1986
Peter High may have a copy

Frank Schofield

Chris Weddell

Frank

Thank for the name of the book. I will email Peter and see if he has a copy of it.

Thanks again

Chris

akennedy

The Indian Experimental P O datestamps were put into use as a temporary measure at a new post office, until that office justified its existence and received a named datestamp.

The date appears to be 19 FEB 46, which seems rather late for naval censorship. Can the date be confirmed from a South African arrival datestamp?

I had not seen this censor mark before, other than in JDs book.

Alistair

Chris Weddell

Alistair

Thanks for the help. There is no South African receivers datestamp to the front or back of the cover.

Thanks

Chris