• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

Army Post Office handstamp.

Started by Chris Weddell, October 30, 2015, 06:23:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Weddell

Hi All

I am in the middle of doing a write up on this cover and i have come across this Army Post Office cancel on the verso of the cover which i have not come across before. Any help with this would be great.

Thanks

Chris

Peter Harvey

Hi Chris,

This is one of the Home Postal Depot marks, as yours it is often found on the back of redirected coves. Note sure if anyone has pinned this mark down to an office, or if there are variations?

Peter

Chris Weddell

Peter

Thanks for the help. I thought it might be but i was only 50% sure.

Cheers

Chris  ;D

Michael Dobbs

Chris

I've just noticed - you show the back of the envelope but with the name and address as "To" where one would normally write the senders name and address - what appears on the front ? (from ??)

Mike  ;D

Chris Weddell

Mike,

The front is that of the addressee. The address on the back is of the same hand writing and red ink used by the person who dealt with the cover when it was at the Army Post Office. The cover never got to the addressee as his ship was sunk and he was one of the crew who lost his life.
                                       Regards

Chris.

Michael Dobbs

Chris - many thanks for the explanation.

Mike