• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

WW2 POW camps in India for Italians

Started by dtrapnell, November 03, 2015, 02:53:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dtrapnell

Please can someone tell me if anyone has listed which camps held Italians or described their postal history?
Peter Burrows has done an amazing job in classifying the different varieties of card etc  used by POWs, German & Italian.
If it was like UK, one camp may have help Italians at one time and Germans at another.
Thanks
David Trapnell

Graham Mark

Hello David
I would not expect many Germans were in camps in India, much more likely were Italians captured in Ethiopia Eritrea and Somaliland.  Possibly some Germns evacuated from camps in Egypt.
Derek Tomlin, in"WWII P.O.W. and Internment Camps" (no date) listed:
Bangalore - camps 1 to 8, Bairagard - camps 9 to 16, Bophal - camp 16, Clement Town - camps 19 to 24, Yol - camps 25 to 28 and Bikaner - camp 29.
He gave no indication of the guest lists.
FPHS index has only one entry - a query in issue 182, winter 1984, p31 -  aletter from an Italian to Bologna, no camp indicated, asking for any information - no reply seen.
Sorry this is the best I can do.
Graham

dtrapnell

Thanks so much, Graham. Very kind.
It seems most of the Italians in India came from N Africa after El Alamein when there was insufficient shipping to take POWs back to UK.
I have already found the list of camp groups and have now got examples of Italian POW mail from most of them.
A fertile topic for more study.
DT