• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

Miss Ord of Sands Hill, Sedgefield, Co Durham

Started by Graham Mark, December 15, 2015, 05:03:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Graham Mark

A member of the German ArGeZensur asks about Miss Ord.
She was obviously involved in sending aid parcels to PoWs; the example shown was a thanks postcard (written in French) from Giessen PoW camp in January 1918.
Googling for Miss Ord I found a discussion forum where similar cards from Russian PoWs were shown and translated.
Also I have found some information about the family, but there is no mention on these websites about Miss Ord's activities in WWI.  Postcards are reported with printed address of Miss Ord indicating she must have been in more than a mere modest effort to help destitute PoWs.
Does anyone have any information please?
Graham Mark

katkin

Surrey Mirror - Friday 11 January 1918.
BRITISH AND ALLIED PRISONERS OF WAR FUND. Registered under War Charities Act. Hon. Secs.: Miss Ord. Sands Hall. Sedgefield, Co. Durham. Returned prisoners state parcels arrive safely, and the Germans have absolutely nothing to with them, except two officers look they are delivered to the owners to nothing is concealed." One of the saddest sights is the look of the poor fellows, for whom there ig no parcel, chiefly the Allies, who crowd round, and never get anything, wounded and ill men. Some have cheek* sunken to the last degree, almost naked, and only rags to cover their feet: the misery, starvation, and mental strain driving some into insanity. Clothing, new and old. woollen goods and socks (if clean and mended) earnestly appealed for and forwarded (o Miss Ord. Miss J. M. kin-on. Linkfield. Batt's Hill. Redhill b56

Kathryn.

katkin

Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer - Thursday 01 August 1918

Graham Mark

Thank you Kathryn
I will pass this information on to my colleagues in Germany.
Graham

katkin

Graham,
There are more appeals which I have on a word doc.

I could forward this if I had an email address.

I have also copied & saved them, but I thought them too many to post.
Kathryn.

Is this your reference in post 1?
http://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12134&view=previous