• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

Passed by censor no. 2414 - Iceland ?

Started by Per Ronberg, December 20, 2015, 10:35:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Per Ronberg

Dear Friends.

Attached a scan of an undated OAS cover with framed army unit censor type A1 no. 2152 (Recorded used on Iceland on covers from FPO 2 in Reykjavik) and a strange red WW1 censorship marking No. 2414 to Scotland.
Does anyone have information about the red army censorship marking? I haven't seen it before on mail connected to the British forces on Iceland.
Have seen it on a cover descripted as being send during transport on "Aquitania" in august 1940 - not that it help much.

Best Regards
Per Rønberg

akennedy

A number of the octangular WW1 type censor marks numbered aboye 2000 (higher than issued in WW1) were used by the  censorship (civil or military?) in WW2, many as telegraph censors.
I think the circumstances of this cover would be that the sender of this letter enclosed this, and possibly others, in a green honour  envelope addressed to the Base Censor, as was permitted. The cover bears the unit censor stamp type 1 but no censoring officer's signature, therfore was not examined at unt level. On opening at the base censor's office (In Iceland or I think more likely in UK) the letter was opened and examined, the WW1 type applied as a base examiner's stamp. then sealed with the Censor label and fowarded by post to destination (unusually not receiving a security postmark of any sort)

Alistair.

Per Ronberg

Dear Alistair.

Thanks for the useful reply. The "enclosed in green honour envelope to base censor"-theory sounds likely.
It would be nice if anyone had input to locate the Base Censor to either Iceland or UK. And possibly give a time-frame of use.
My guess is summer 1940, as I have a cover from same sender dated June 7 1940.

Regards
Per