• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

HMS Vulcan.

Started by Chris Weddell, December 30, 2015, 10:13:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Weddell

Hi All

Some time ago i posted on the forum a cover from this ship. This is a postcard i just got from the same ship.

What i would like to know is where the Vulcan was at this time as i think she was in Dundee but i am not 100 % sure. I think the cancels covering the datestamp and stamp are from the 'Goulds Sub group DD' but i am not sure which cancel from the group these are . Also any help about the sender who i think is Harold Holman nephew of the addressee Lt Gen Sir Herbert Campbell Holman.

Cheers

Chris

Frank Schofield

Chris

"Vulcan" was the Depot ship for the 7th S/M Flotilla at Leigh (near Edinburgh) in December 1914
The dumb cancels seem to be three strikes of Gould's DD3 (see his note, known used at Leigh in 1915)
The only officer listed in "Vulcan" at that time with the name Harold, is Sub/Lt. Harold H. Atkin-Berry who lost his life as a Lieut. on HMS/M E26 on 3/7/16, might be him?
No Harold Holiman listed in the Navy List at that time.

Frank Schofield

Chris Weddell

Frank

Thanks for your great help. I agree with you that the dumb cancels are Gould's  DD3 from Leigh. I have done a small bit of digging on Lt Harlod Atikin-Berry and he was indeed the nephew of Lt Gen Sir Herbert Campbell Holman. Thanks for his name from the Offices list of HMS Vulcan.

Chris  ;D

Alan Baker

From a check on Ancestry, I think the surname is "Holman". Lt Col HC Holman was with the Indian Army in WWI, ending up as a Maj General.

I'll have a search for Harold Holman tomorrow

Chris Weddell

Alan

Thanks for the help. Lt Col H C Holman ends up as Lt Gen Sir H C Holman. H C stands for Herbert Campbell. I am going though all the military records on  Ancestry to do with Holman and Atkin-Berry.Harold is Harold H Atkin-Berry and according to a website with info on the Holman family he is a nephew. This is as much as i have found out so far.

Chris  ;D

Colin Tabeart

Suggest that "Leigh" should read "Leith" as in "The Leith Police dissmissest us". She was depot ship for the "C" class stationed at Leith.
Colin