• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

WW1 Dover Patrol Censor type Number 40

Started by Colin Tabeart, January 26, 2016, 08:29:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin Tabeart

Here are two 1917 covers to same addressee. Both have London cancellations and both have the CEN 40 SOR stamp in the usual greeny-blue ink (one is largely under the censor tape.) Both have civilian type censor tapes in addition to the CEN 40 SOR. Gould lists number 40, but without attribution. Can anyone now say where it was applied please? There are no van de Weils in the 1917 Navy List and I cannot really make out the censoring officer's initials for further checks. Would I be right in thinking that if the letters were censored at Dover, say, they would be sent on to London for civilian censorship since going abroad to a civilian? Anything known about the censor tapes would also be welcome.
Thanks, Colin

Tony Walker

I have two similar covers to the same addressee in the same hand as your covers.

I have an identification of the censor on one cover, Surg. Prob. Douglas McLean of HMS Morris.  The cover has a London mc 19.2.18 with BUY WAR BONDS NOW integrated cancel.  The OBC no is 4767. However the identification note which came with the cover refers to a cancellation of 1917 - not my cover, more akin to yours!

My second cover with London mc and slogan dated 29.4.18 is also OBC no 4767.  The censors initials are less distinct but the writing on both covers is identical.  Both covers have the dr GRAVENHAGE receiving cancel on the reverse

The initials on your OBC 4786 are identical to my first cover noted above.

That's all I can offer at the moment, other than to confirm HMS Morris was an M Class destroyer attached to the Dover Patrol, which you already know

Cheers
Tony

akennedy

The censor appears to be D Weil - i.e. a relative of the addressee.

Alistair

Colin Tabeart

Gentlemen, many thanks to both for your contributions. There is no D Weil in the RN, RNR or RNVR Navy List for 1917. That list gives Surg Probr Douglas McClean RNVR joined HMS Morris on 18 Aug 1916. Also censors usually used initials rather than full name, so think Tony has the answer - anyway that is how I will write it up! Best wishes to both, Colin