• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

FIELD POST OFFICES 214 AND 549 SUDAN

Started by Ross Debenham, February 20, 2016, 05:02:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ross Debenham

I recently purchased a cover from Field Post Office 549 used in the Sudan February, 1943. I read in a book that this FPO 549 had replaced FPO 214 in July, 1942, which i also have a  cover from. Both covers have RAF censor markers. Can any member enlighten me as to which RAF base these FPO's were used at in the Sudan during WW2.

Michael Dobbs

Ross

For the benefit of our two main collectors / researchers of RAF censor marks can you please provide full details of the two covers, including the type and number of the RAF censor and any senders details.  You will recall that Nick Colley and Ian Muchall have recently produced an e-book update to his and Bill Garrard's original RAF Censor book.  Once I receive details of the censors I can look this up and see if he has these recorded and any useful information provided.

Regards, Mike  :)

Ross Debenham

SNorry Mike, the censor marker used on the FPO 214 is a very weak R10 Number 219 and I believe may be censored by J R Ritken, whereas the censor marker on the FPO 549 is Type R11 Number 241 and as the envelope is a Active Service cover the sender of the envelope is A W Richen. Interestingly this has been hit with the Deputy Chief Field Censor marker on the reverse. Both of the above mentioned censor markers are just recorded in Colley and Garrard as simply be known used in conjunction with these FPO,s in the Sudan but with no mention of where these censor markers and post offices were actually located. Due to the weakness of censor marker imprints i did not feel it was worth posting scans.

Nick Colley

Hi, chaps,

OK, I've just seen your post:

R10/219 - we have no record of that, so that's a new one, if you're sure it's 219.
R11/241: FPO 549 13/12/42-6/3/43, then FPO 718 17/6/43 & 22/6/43 - also, Sudan, by the way.
Then we have a recording of this number through EPP 86 7/9/44 on an AMLC datelined from 106 MU.

chrs
N

Ross Debenham

Sorry Nick
After taking a further look at the censor marker, it is actually 129. It looks like my fingers got mixed up again, although as stated earlier the imprint of the censor marker is very weak, but is 129 for sure. Once again sorry for the mistake. I hope this helps.

Nick Colley

ok, R10/129:

known with FPO 214 from 11/4/42-30/6/42
known with FPO 549 from 22/8/42-9/10/42

Both FPOs in the Sudan, so all is well !  :)

chrs
N

Ross Debenham

Thanks Nick, you haven't heard anything about South African SA.100 number 114 being used in conjunction with Indian Field Post Office 12 or 15 in Sudan in November, 1941, have you. As the only South African forces in Sudan at the time were SAAF personnel I believe it has to be of SAAF  origin. Once again thanks for the information. Unfortunately although the censor mark is 100% the post markers are basically unreadable so it is useless to post a scan of the envelope.

Nick Colley

Hi, Ross, I fear I'm unable to help with the SA100 question. Unless a mark is explicitly air force, then it will slip below my radar, if you'll forgive the (almost) accidental pun.

However, fyi & i (but no bearing on your question), I happen to have a copy of SA100/112 with a letter written from 12 Squadron SAAF posted through EA APO 55 (Kenya) in February 1941.

If I come across anything, I'll let you know.

chrs
N