• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

WW2 Royal navy cover, which ship ?

Started by Chris Weddell, June 27, 2016, 09:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Weddell

Hi All,

I am writing up a large build up of my own covers. I got to this one a WW2 British Navy cover. It bears a ' Daynes N 801 ' censor mark. Does any one know which ship this mark comes from or any other info about censor. I have not come across the censor mark before.

Cheers

Chris  ;D

Nick Colley

Hi, Chris,

While I can't give a direct answer to your question, I would observe that N801 is the same as N800, but minus the frame and the name  of Lt.Cmdr (E) C.D.H.Briggs, RN.

That officer is listed in the August 1939 Navy List  as serving aboard the destroyer HMS Ivanhoe, 3DF, Mediterranean.

Sadly, I can go no further: I have no WW2 Navy Lists by which I can follow Briggs' career. The questions remain, therefore: was Briggs posted to another vessel ? If so, did (his) censor mark remain aboard Ivanhoe, where it was deemed necessary to remove his name ? Or does N801 belong to another vessel altogether ?

Hopefully we can induce Frank to contribute, here ?  ;)

chrs
N

Frank Schofield

Thanks Nick

Charles David Hilton Briggs, Lt/Cdr (E) RN
March 1940 Navy List  Still on Ivanhoe appt 2/12/38
30/6/1940 Promoted to Commander (E)
June 1942 Navy List
Appt to HMS Laforey (Destroyer) Nov 1940
23/1/43 Died of Illness Age 38
Cremated at Golders Green Crematorun
Remebered on Panel No. 1

Frank Schofield

Chris Weddell

Nick and Frank

Thanks a lot for all your help. I think i can now wirte this one up.

Cheers

Chris  ;D