• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

Mounting oversized covers.

Started by Chris Weddell, July 25, 2016, 06:05:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Weddell

Hi All

I have a number of oversized covers to mount. You know the sort the large brown official ones. What is the best way to mount them without cutting them down to fit onto A4 sized card? Would folding them be the best way?

Any ideas or scans of this sort of cover mounted would be great.

Thanks in advance,

Chris. :D

celgood

Hello,
this is a problem I have had in the past with large items. I found the best way is to take a cold hard look at what and why you have the item and what you are really trying to display. I hate the idea of causing damage to any item, if you look to the future and the possible financial return you hope to get then causing damage is the last thing you want. I am afraid the only personal answer for me in most cases was to use A3 size sheets with the same size protectors and use an oversize binder. Not a great deal of help I am afraid but there is no easy reply to this. Can you keep the original as is and use a reduced scan or photocopy as a temporary measure within your collection.

regards --- Chas Elgood

Tony Walker

Hi Chris

You can of course use a normal A4 sheet in landscape format, which caters for most of these envelopes.  They do not display on a frame so neatly, but it is better than damaging the cover.

Another rather tedious way is to use an A3 sheet formed from two A4 sheets hinged at the back so they can fold backwards into a normal A4 sheet.  You mount the item on the A3 sheet for display etc, but de-mount it for storage in the box or album.  It does mean you have to 'mount' it when displaying.  I think this is a better option than a full single A3 sheet which, as you say, is a real bind to carry around and store.

I have a very important original item larger than A3.  I photocopied it at a reduced size that would fit onto an A3 size sheet with enough space to write up.  I took the original and photocopy to a Notary Public, who attested on the photocopy it was a true and accurate copy of the original document which he had seen.  I then mounted the photocopy on a 'split' A3 page as noted above.  This item has been used in an exhibit which gained a large gold medal at an international show and  several golds at other similar shows without adverse comment.  It actually looks rather dramatic (see attachment in two halves).  It's not military as you can see.  However it is a bit complicated for a modest item.

Food for thought !

Tony

Chris Weddell

Hi Tony

Thank you for this. It has given me some food for thought. I will try out a few things you have suggested and see what looks and feels right for me. I think I am going to have to use A3 sheets but for some of the items landscape format with A4 sheets might work.

Thank you

Chris :D