• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

Salonika Campaign Registered Mail

Started by Chris Grimshaw, August 02, 2016, 11:20:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Grimshaw

Hi All

Following on from my study of Registered Mail from the Salonika campaign the following questions have arisen,

Base APO X was opened late December 1915, certainly by 1917 was using named registration labels, has anyone ever seen anything from Base APO X using the blank registration labels?

British APO/FPO's were open from October 1915, the earliest registered cover I record is December 1915 when the reinforcement Divisions began to arrive.

Mail should exist registered from the following, D10, T10 R10 FPO29, 30 & 31, all 10th Division using Type 2 censor until early 1916,

Also FPO T52, FPO GX Base APOP X APO SX1 & SX2 are all recorded with mail censored Type 2, so far nothing registered recorded.

Final one is 4th Canadian Hospital, mail from them went via APO SX4 and mail into Canada which was free on active service received 2 cents in postage stamps applied by the Canadian authorities to signify postage paid. No registered mail seen to show how registered mail was treated, A 2d Black registered envelope with 2 cents added on arrival would be the ideal find if it exists.

Any information appreciated.

I currently have approx 50 Registered covers from this campaign but actively searching for further material to add to my display. 

Cheers

Chris