• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

What is "X" squadron.

Started by Chris Weddell, November 06, 2016, 04:53:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Weddell

Hello All

This cover was posted to the 102 maintenance unit, RAF Abu Suer in Egypt. What i would like to know is what is "X" squadron is. I have no idea.  Any help would be good.

Cheers

Chris

Michael Dobbs

Chris

You may well find the answer in the Operational Record Book (ORB) held at The National Archives at Kew - AIR20/1035 - Aircraft Storage Section, formed at Abu Sueir, Egypt, November 1938; became 102 Maintenance Unit, January 1939; disbanded February 1942; re-formed Amirya July 1943; disbanded August 1946 (ASS MU).  The ORB covers the period January 1939 to August 1946.

Cheers, Mike  :)

Chris Weddell

Mike

Thank you. I will have to make a trip to Kew sometime soon and put this on my list. I do remember i found out something about the "X" squadron but I cant find my notes.

Cheers

Chris  ???

Nick Colley

I also found this while Googling:

http://ww2talk.com/index.php?threads/raf-maintenance-units.25087/

And the attached is a snip from part of the correspondence on that page - quite a few files in AIR23, as well, it seems, for 102 MU.

chrs
N.

Chris Weddell

Nick

Thank you for that Nick it will come in handy.

Regards

Chris.