• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

Portuguese Army on the Western Front #2

Started by Alan Baker, November 18, 2016, 09:04:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Baker

I showed this cover at the meeting on Saturday, asking anyone what the initials "B.M.M." could mean. There were several suggestions which didn't sound quite right (Brigade, Battalion etc).

I have since found an extract of this officer's service record on the Portuguese Military Archive site (Arquivo Historico Militar), also copied below. However, this is no more help as it also gives his unit as No 6 B.M.M.! Given that it gives his regiment and battalion as well, I wondered if the initials might stand for "Bateria Morteiro Medio" (Medium Mortar Battery). According to Wikipedia, each Brigade had a 75mm light mortar battery attached , but there were also 152mm and 236mm mortar batteries attached to each Division. Does this make sense?

Unfortunately, his record throws up more questions.
1. The canceller SPC 11, was apparently allocated to the 4th Brigade. However, his record gives his regiment as No 18, which was not apparently part of the 4th Brigade, according to Wikipedia. In fact, on their listing, there was no 18th regiment in France.
2. Wikipedia gives the make up of the force as 1st and 2nd Divisions, consisting of 6 Brigades, each with 4 Battalions (i.e. no mention of Regiments). The 4th Brigade consisted of the 3rd, 8th, 20th and 29th Battalions. Is Wikipedia wrong, should these be Regiments?

Does anyone have any source of information which might help?

Alan Baker

Here is the scan of his record

akennedy

There is an article on the CEP in November 2016 London Philatelist, written by two Portuguese brothers.
It does not appear to answer your queries, but you will no doubt find it  interesting.
I will let you see it when the opportunity arises.

Alistair

Alan Baker

Many thanks. I already have a copy, supplied by Geoff H. As you say, interesting but does not answer my questions.

Does any member have any Portuguese material? I would be pleased to see it if so

Michael Dobbs

The (US) Military Postal History Society are planning an article on the Brazilian Expeditionary Force (I presume this refers to the WW1 Force in Europe) in their Summer Bulletin (proposed release date for Bulletin 10 August 2017) - a long time to wait and you may have obtained the answer before then or the article may not answer your query !

Mike  ;D

Alan Baker

Don't send me off on another tack! I am having enough of a challenge with the Portuguese force

Michael Dobbs

Alan

Humble apologies - I don't know what came over me - thinking that Brazil was somehow what this topic was all about !!!  ???
Overworked and not thinking straight !!

Mike  :o