• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

Crash cover with B.M. postmark

Started by avoorbraak, February 04, 2017, 02:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

avoorbraak

Hi,
I am collecting military post recently.
Can anyone tell me why the postage stamp is stamped Birmingham and not by Field Post Office Number?
Please see scan.

Michael Dobbs

The reason being was that it was naval mail - at that time the Army Postal Service did not generally handle mail from sea-going ships of the Royal Navy.  Mail was routed through civil channels back to the UK and then handled by the General Post Office (GPO).

However, I'm sure our naval collectors can come up with more detailed information.

Mike  :)

avoorbraak

Hello Mike,

Many thanks for your reply, much appreciated !
Yes, maybe the Naval collectors will have some additional information.

Frank Schofield

Ton

I think the cover, addressed to Leicester, after arriving in the UK was sent via Birmingham where it was noticed that stamp had not been cancelled.
Hopkins illustrates the cachet in his book "A HISTORY OF WRECK COVERS" published in 1966, but with no details on where the recovered covers were processed
Sorry to point out  that the writers rank was not "lieutenant at sea" but a  "Leading Seaman" note his ratings service number on the reverse

Frank Schofield

avoorbraak

Hi Frank,
Thanks for your reply and correction.
I hope to learn a lot with help from you all on this great website !

Ton