• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

EARLY CENSORSHIP EAST AFRICA

Started by Ross Debenham, February 23, 2017, 04:30:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ross Debenham

I have attached a scan of a cover post marked Nairobi on 30 December, 1939. It is censored Type EA/2B censor marker number 23. The problem is that all sources I have read state that East African army censor markers were not issued until February, 1940. Envelope is also backstamped with very weak Type D2 State 1 post mark, which was first used on 15 December, 1939. Has any other member observed East African army censor markers being used in late 1939.

Nick Guy

I attach a scan of a cover postmarked 13 DE 39

Nick Guy

Ross Debenham

Thanks Nick.
It looks as if the estimation of the start of use of these censorship markers is seriously miscalculated. I will be looking for more examples. Its the first time i have seen censorship marker 1 as well.

Michael Dobbs

Ross

A suggestion - with yours and Nick's cover this could well be suitable as a query / short article for the Journal ? (which has a greater readership than the Forum)
Please put something together and send it to our Editor (Colin).

Thanks, Mike

Colin Tabeart

Ross has sent me a shortie for the Journal. Nick - could you please send quality (300 dpi) images of the front and back of your cover to add to the article to me at colintabeart@btinternet.com? Will show you both the edited version for any corrections required,
Colin