• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

WWI & After Registration Labels

Started by Chris Grimshaw, June 21, 2021, 08:34:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Walker

I note your post Chris regarding the labels with the R and number to the right.

I have half a dozen of these, but as you're not doing naval labels I'll not let you see them, so there.

Cheers
Tony

Chris Grimshaw

Morning Tony

I'd be pleased to see the examples you mention.  AS I delve deeper into this subject more information comes to light, however it also throws up a lot of unanswered questions. 

I now plan that this study will run to two or three parts, Western Front alone will probably come out at 30 pages.  There will be a place for Naval Registered mails to complete the study. 

I have little or nothing covering Naval Registered mail which was the reason for originally excluding but will welcome your input and knowledge.

Chris

Tony Walker

Hi Chris

My patience with the Forum has for the moment, been exhausted.  I have been trying to post a scan and message with examples of my 'R on right with number' naval registration labels.  Only one page, low dpi.  I get either a timed out message or 'do not accept these files'.
Will probably send you via post office

Cheers
Tony

Chris Grimshaw

Hi Tony

Send via straight email if easier,  Have some thoughts on the labels with 'R etc' on the right. 

Once seen may have further information.  Chris

PS, 'ball is back in play'

Peter Harvey

Chris, found a bundle today of about 20 registered envelopes, mainly what you already have. However I have attached S60 printed label which I do not think you have noted.

Giving this some thought, is it not likely that most of the larger stationary offices would have had registration labels printed?

Peter

Chris Grimshaw

Hi Peter

Thanks for this example,  I record this printing with APO S 17 in September, 1918  Setting now is as shown [b] A.P.O.S.  [/b]60

It's likely that as you mention other larger offices used pre-printed labels.  One of the aims of this study is to ascertain as complete a list as possible of all the printed types and who used them.

I'd be interested in any other pre-printed examples you've come across, also any with cork/rubber cancels. Have recently discovered APO S 39 with a very large rubber cancel.

Chris

Peter Harvey

As attached

Peter Harvey

As attached

Peter Harvey

Attached

Peter Harvey

Attached

Chris Grimshaw

Hello Peter

Many thanks, some very useful material within these scans,  The pre-printed APO 3 printed centrally is certainly a new one for me. 

The Blank Series D Type 2 labels I classify as follows

Type D1  Pre-cancelled with dated handstamp

Type D1a Cancelled after applying to envelope with dated handstamp

Type D2  Pre-cancelled with undated handstamp

Type D2a  Cancelled after applying to envelope with undated handstamp,  (not yet seen from the Western Front.)

Chris

Chris Grimshaw

Team

One thing that has surprised me is the scarcity of Registered Mail pre January, 1915.  Mail from 1914 to early January 1915 was cancelled with series 1 datestamps which were in use then.

Single and Double Ring APO with a number,  Currently I've seen nothing Registered!!!  Can you help.

Chris

Peter Harvey

Hi Chris,

Should I keep going, I have another 20 or so, including:

FPO 163 plain label 25 No 18 - Beirut
APO S59 preprinted S - AP 19
FPO T35 plain label JY 17
FPO 79 plain label AP 17 - Greece (looks like they dragged the cover behind a lorry)
APO R60 plain label AP 17
FPO 82 DE 17 plain label Greece (looks like the same lorry reversed over this one)
FPO 2N JA 17 plain label Jan 17 (security exchange) WF
FPO 158 plain label AP 16 (same lorry trashed this one completely)
APO S65 plain label JY 17
APO S17 - fully printed AU 17
Same DE 17
Same AU 17
Same DE 17
Same OC 17
Same SP 17
FPO C4 plain label JA 17
FPO 159 plain label Egypt JY 16
Base APO Z fully printed MY 19
FPO D56 plain label MY 18
FPO T18 DE 15 plain label

Likely to have some more..... it was a deep box.

Peter

Peter Harvey

Chris, Found this on the internet, had you seen it?

Peter

Chris Grimshaw

Hi Peter

Thanks, I'd not seen this one...  First example I've seen from 1914  Brilliant.

Chris