• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

WWI & After Registration Labels

Started by Chris Grimshaw, June 21, 2021, 08:34:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Grimshaw

Morning Team

I've started a new research project with a view to a future article.

WWI & Post War Military Registration Labels.

We're all familiar with the Blank anonymous labels used by the great majority of FPO & APO offices throughout the war  and afterwards.

A small number of offices were issued with printed labels showing their designation, I show on the attached scan an example from Base APO X in Salonika.  Others exist and I'd welcome details please.  This idea for a study / article arose from material submitted for the last journal.  See  page 560 APO G R showing two different pre-printed examples.

I cannot recollect seeing any published work on these printed labels.  Firebrace gives us some information, pages 271 - 272.  However he concentrated on the Near East and Egypt.
I'd welcome any information / illustrations of such labels please.

Chris

Jim Mackay

Hi Chris.
Here are a couple from my Occupation of the Rhineland collection.
Regards
Jim

Chris Grimshaw

Hello Jim,

Brilliant, exactly what I'm looking for.  Both covers raise interesting questions.

The 7 September 20  APO G R cover with blank label suggests that the supply of pre-printed label had run out, see example 5 May 20 on page 560 of latest journal. 

This also occurs from the Army Post Office Constantinople in 1919 / 20, where they revert to the blank labels until a new stock was received from London.

The APO S 40 E example with selvage at the bottom suggests sheet printing, not roll printing. 

I have an example of APO S with a printed line and 40 F added in manuscript. 

Chris

Frank Schofield

Chris

A couple from APO S.100 at Taranto for you

Frank

Chris Grimshaw

Thanks Frank

Again, exactly what I'm looking for. 

Are you aware of any other offices which had pre-printed labels from the Italian theatre?

Chris

Frank Schofield

Chris

No others written up at this time

Can only think APO S.70 (Fianza rest camp) and APO S.101 (later APO L.1) the main base, may have the printed labels

Frank

Tony Walker

Chris

When you say Military, does that include Naval?

Tony

Chris Grimshaw

Thanks Frank

Not seen anything from either of these offices yet,  will keep looking.

Tony

Looking at Army Registered Mail at present,  I don't know enough about Naval Registered Mail.

Chris

Chris Grimshaw

First update

After spending a few hours 'trawling' Google it's surprising how little Registered mail is around.

I've found APO S 17, pre-printed, two different settings

Pre-printed APO  S which has a '8' Hand-stamped added, used at APO S 8

Blank Label with APO S 11 Hand-stamped in Black.  Will surmise this was instead of applying the Date-stamp which was required on these Blank Labels.

As illustrated, Frank has supplied APO S 100 and Jim supplied two interesting examples.

I have also found two different examples from Base APO Z M.E.F.

It's a start and I welcome all contributions. 

I'm guessing but would expect that Base Army Post Office 1 to 4 in France will generate examples.

Not studied my Army of the Black Sea material yet.

Chris

Jim Mackay

Hello again Chris.
I've unearthed another couple from a long forgotten pile (alas one of many!).
Jim

Peter Harvey

Hi Chris,

Some of these are scarce, I also agree that I do not think anyone has researched these, either the earlier WW1 blank versions on general issue, but several varieties exits. From memory APO S.40, APO.S17, BAPO X, BAPO Z are the more common.

I have attached an S.40 amended to X used in 1929 from Kirche SAAR at the Artillery Practice Camp (Lorraine France).

Peter

Chris Grimshaw

Morning Team

Jim, Many thanks, Exactly what I'm looking for,

Peter.

Brilliant example which was amended, not seen this one before.  Hopefully others will appear.

Chris

Chris Grimshaw

Morning Team

Have now had chance to study K & C who devoted two pages to Registration,  Pages 23 & 24.

They illustrated a number of different Registration Labels which are shown on the attached scan.  Black & White production but I'm assuming that the pre-printed examples are all in Blue as was customary.

The APO S with a number hand-stamped on are interesting,  so far I have examples of APO 6 & 8, others undoubtedly exist.  The ACCOUNTANT ARMY POST OFFICE example I've never seen, would be interested to see an example on cover to give an office of usage.

Chris

Chris Grimshaw

Morning Team

This study progresses slowly,  a recent complete 'trawl' through K & C reveals the cover shown on attached scan.

Registered cover from APO P.B.1, 3 October 1919 located in North Russia.  ( page 267 )  A pre-printed label  which looks like APO  S ___  where space above line was for insertion of Office No.  Overprinted APO PB1 by a cork or rubber hand-stamp.

Only example I've ever seen and I've not traced this or any other examples.  No such usage is recorded from the South Russia period, usage was the blank labels.  Registered mail from the Siberia expedition is very scare and again I cannot trace any such usage.

Any information appreciated. 

Chris

Chris Grimshaw

Team

After spending time 'trawling' a well known dealers stock I have come across the cover with label as shown on the attached scan.

Using James A Mackay descriptions we know the Blank Labels as Type D, Type 1 within this group has the printed 'R' & No on the right of the label.  This was against UPU requirements and by 1910 these were moved to the left of the label as required.  This is described as Type 2 which are the blank labels which were used throughout WWI and after.

Cover shown is from Haifa, description as shown below.

This is a very late use of this label and I'd welcome details of any others.

1919 (Mar 17) Plain envelope registered to Geneva bearing EEF adhesives hidden under censors label tied O.E.T.A. E.E.F. /Haifa cds & with blank R /54 Registered label modified in manuscript to 154 tied by O.E.T.A. E.E.F. /Haifa cds & with Opened By/Censor /1229 label overlaying adhesives tied violet boxed E.P.C. hand stamp & on reverse O.E.T.A. E.E.F./Haifa (17 Mar) despatch + Alexandria (17 Mar) + belted Army Post Office/ SZ 10 (20

It clearly bears an example of the Type D No 1 label as shown. 

Chris